6.02.2005

Art and Physics

After coming across the site of artist Arthur Ganson, I decided that today's post should be a series of resources related to kinetic art.

Unfortunatly, Ganson's site no longer has video of his work posted, however you can find it over at Ebaum's World - a webiste my kids try to log onto when they think I'm not looking (be warned, other pages on that site are not school appropriate).

I've always been a big fan of Alexander Calder, a phellow philadelphian - one of his mobiles hangs in the front lobby of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, directly in line with his father's fountain and his grandfather's statue of William Penn atop city hall (I've always been fascinated by that tangible piece of art history).

There is something amazing about art that moves (which probably explains why I love to work with video), maybe it has something to do with the added element of time. That's why I think kinetic art would be a good project for students - they not only would have to develop a sculpture, but develop a sculpture that isn't exactly the same from one second to the next. "Change" becomes one of the properties of the artwork.


More examples of kinetic art:

Videos of Gina Kamentsky's small mechanical toys and sculpture.

Really cool: Electro-Mech Assemblage!

Even more kinetic art.

Unfortunatly, I can't find any videos of Jean Tinguely's work. If someone knows where that can be found on the web, let me know!

4 Comments:

  1. Pseudo-intellectual lunatic said...
    Great blog!! Keep it up :)
    dsgran said...
    Thanks! I'm glad we finally got the approval of the pseudo-intellectual lunatics! I was worried for a second :).
    Rey Rey said...
    I have the Arthur Ganson video and saw his work at the MIT museum. It's very cool stuff.
    dsgran said...
    cool! I'd love to see it.

Post a Comment