1.01.2009

I Touch Art

I'd love to get an iPhone, but you still need to hack it to get it to work in China, and I have no desire to pay 70 clams a month for the AT&T service that I can't even use. So I got the next best thing, the iTouch (which is on sale at Costco for a few dollars under the advertised price and it also comes with a two year warranty which costs extra at the apple store- just FYI).

I've spent some time over the last few days scouring the internet for some good art and education related applications. Here's what I've got so far:

Random Pose: This website of anatomically correct models mentioned here before now has its own iApplication. This is terrific for doing a little sketching as it updates with a new pose whenever you connect.



Remote Pad: Turn your iPhone / iTouch into a remote for your computer and control the mouse from a distance. This sounds like a nice teaching tool.




Magic iBall: Its the Magic 8 Ball in the 21st century. Not really an education app, but a useful tool for giving a student an indirect answer when they ask how they've done on a project you haven't graded yet.

Oh come on, that would be funny.

Art Lite: Keep some examples of the masters in your pocket. There are slideshows of Van Gogh, Picasso, Michaelangelo, DaVinci and a few others. There are also some games and quizzes. Not quite a necessity for your app lineup, but potentially useful if you need to pull out a copy of the Mona Lisa to examine on short notice.
Link
Brushes: I actually didn't download any painting programs because I doubted the usefulness of any drawing app that relied on dragging my clumsy fingers across a small two inch screen. However, I've just stumbled across this post on Drawn about Disney artist Stef Kardos' iphone painting flickr set. Consider me converted. Here's an example:
LinkMovie Maker: If I had an iPhone, I'd give this app a try- using the still camera on the iphone you can easily create stop motion videos. Similarly, Juxtaposer looks like a fun way to play around with your photos, although I'd probably opt for just uploading my photos to a computer and using photoshop.


Lie Detector Advanced: So the goldfish ate your homework sketches? Would you care to put that to the test?





Any suggestions for other apps that I'm missing or forgetting?

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    well this touch art is really very good.
    Anonymous said...
    I'm surprised you didn't include the light sabor applications. That could be used as a teaching tool for sure!

Post a Comment