Following our recent exploration of shutter speed, we moved on to look at creating a more dramatic depth of field through aperture. Unfortunately, we weren't able to exert a great deal of control with the cameras that we were using- although switching on the Macro, and supermacro settings helped a bit.
It was time for our class safari. Lacking many interesting live animals to photograph on campus*, we went for the more the more rubbery plastic-y gum ball machine kind. This worked remarkably well for demonstrating depth of field; especially because the critters were very compliant.
*Aside from the feral cats who only make their appearance when crashing through roof tiles, some bizarre aquatic worms that live in a glass bowl with my taro plant, and a rather camera shy turtle.