1.27.2011

Towers Part II: Podcasts

This year, as part of my professional development I'm looking into assessment in art education as a research project. I've been modifying various approaches to self assessment over the past year, but have been struggling to find a method that I'm truly happy with- one that recognizes the growth of the individual student by their own progress and clearly demonstrates their learning.

I've been having students turn in written reflections for a while, but Kate (see this post about the project) suggested that we have the students create podcasts about their towers. I was blown away by how much more thought and detail the students were willing to put in the podcast than they had done in the past on paper.

For their assessment, students explained their sources for inspiration for the project and how it their creations were representations and reflections of themselves. They also talked about their aesthetic an creative choices in creating their work. Here are just a few samples:

5 Comments:

  1. OlmanFeelyus said...
    Really impressive work. I wonder also if a factor here is that for most children (and people), it is just easier to speak about something than to sit down and write it. I don't know if that is bad or good, but I know when I have to explain something that I know well verbally, it just comes out and when I have to write it, it requires a great deal of prep and discipline.

    Finally, I think the assessor him or herself is a factor here. Listening is a more passive activity than reading, which perhaps puts you in a more relaxed frame of mind. It is also pleasant to hear the children's voices, whose expressions add a lot to their words.

    Great stuff.
    craig said...
    Great example of self assessment! I'm going to add this to my collection of assessment examples I show my students. -CR
    dsgran said...
    @Olman- Thanks! I do agree with your supposition that it has to do with people's comfortability in speaking versus writing. That's something that I've considered as well. I hadn't considered my frame of mind when listening vs. reading, although my initial reaction is that the difference between what the students provided in their audio podcasts vs. what they've written over the last 10 years or so that I've been using written reflections is so great that I expect that is not really the case. That being said, I think its an interesting idea and will include it in my next assessment activity in which I plan to use a control and test group to see how the responses differ - all part of this action research I'm doing (not a glutton for punishment in coming up with multiple forms of assessment ;)

    @Craig- Thanks! Please do.
    Anonymous said...
    I have complied an extensive PDF that has a great deal of assessment examples from art programs all over the country. The ideas are endless, and at least can help you with ideas as you move forward. I like your use of technology for assessment.

    If you click on the links, they are live, and take you to the original site. Enjoy!

    Jessica
    Anonymous said...
    Sorry! Here is the link to the assessment PDF

    http://theartofeducation.wordpress.com/2011/01/23/the-ultimate-assessment-pdf/

    Jessica

Post a Comment