2.13.2011

The Ring

No, you don't have one week to live, we've got a cool new material! For one of her independent projects in IB Art, Tin Tin decided that she wanted to make her own jewelry out of silver clay. This material works like polymer clay, but when you fire it (or torch it like we did) the clay body burns off and the infused metal particles left behind bind together. She ordered the material and read up on the process, and today we whipped out a mini torch and fired it. This was the first time we've used this material, and it was amazing to see it go from a dull beige to bright orange, and then for the silver to slowly materialize.



The metal clay is expensive, it runs about a dollar a gram, but I could see this being a great project, especially if students practiced their techniques with a different polymer clay first. Way to go Tin Tin!

5 Comments:

  1. bathroom designs and floor plans said...
    Considerably, this post is really the sweetest on this notable topic. I harmonise with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your incoming updates. Saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the phenomenal clarity in your writing. I will directly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. Admirable work and much success in your business dealings! Please excuse my poor English as it is not my first tongue.
    dsgran said...
    Dear Bathroom Designs and Floor Plans,

    Thank you for the kind words about my post. I humbly agree that I write more sweetly than anyone else about my own student's work. Of all the blogs that mention my students, none are quite as insightful as mine. In terms of the clarity of my writing, I have to give great credit to the font "Trebuchet" without which I would have to scrawl in my illegible chicken-scratch writing with my wacom tablet.

    While I appreciate your enthusiasm, I do ask that you not grab my rss feed directly, as I have personal space issues, but please feel free to use an indirect feed, possibly through some sort of IV drip.

    Finally thank you for your well wishes, if I ever have a bathroom to design or a floor to plan, I will certainly reference your insightful blog. Surely, no one in the history of blogging has hit such an insightful balance between bathroom design and floor planning.
    Shower Doors said...
    Wonderful design .. I am just loving your efforts.
    dsgran said...
    Thank you very much, and if I may return the compliment, I am loving the wonderful design of my own shower door. It's great the way it keeps the water in, and the cool air out.
    dsgran said...
    I wish I had known that earlier, Frameless Shower Door. I didn't want to admit this before, but I've actually been blogging from inside my shower due to being trapped by an incorrectly installed door.

Post a Comment