7.08.2014

I often attribute my interest in art to an exhibition by Jonathan Borofsky that my parents took me to in 1984 at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.  Unlike other museums that they'd dragged me to in the past, this exhibition was different.  Instead of the images of humans in various states of repose or motionless statues, of which I had no interest at the time, the exhibition was alive.  There was a ping pong table with people actually playing.  There was a painting that was singing, and giant metal men hammering.  And there may have been something like this:



 
I will love him and squeeze him and call him George.


I say 'may have been' because it was so long ago, that frankly, I don't remember - but my parents, sensing my interest, did buy me a book of Borofsky's work.  After my interest in art exploded, I constantly revisited the book of his work -and so my memories of what I saw in person vs. in the book are cloudy.  This particular piece stands out in mind, even though I can't accurately recall if I've seen one like it in person or not.

What is fascinating about this piece is that it is only looks like this from one perspective.  The parts of the face are painted on various surface of the museum walls and ceiling and only form the resulting image when you are viewing it from a single location.

To demonstrate how this works, check out the latest music video from OK GO - which takes this idea to an extreme, and like much of their earlier work is mind-bogglingly done in all one take:




Their impressive accomplishment in this endeavor becomes even more impressive after watching the behind the scenes video:


I've been thinking about how to organize something like this in my classroom for a few years- I think its time to put it into action!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment