2.12.2007

MorphX

Welcome to Day 2 of Open Source Week. I'm kicking myself right now because I should have called this "Shareware and Open Source Week" since both of my posts so far have been about the former instead of the latter. Oh well. Welcome to Day 2 of the increasingly inappropriately named "Open Source Week".

MorphX is a fun little app that I've neglected to post because... well, it might just be a little too heavy on the silly side and too light on the educational side.



Either that, or I can only think of silly things when I open it up. Basically it does this: it takes two photographs, and transforms the first into the second. You can click on various points in the pictures to help give it some direction. Not the most useful tool in the box, but it sure is fun.

Anyway, you're creative. I'm sure you'll figure out a fun way to use this in your classroom. Feel free to post your ideas in the comments!

Get it here.

On a side note, Norkross, the company that produced MorphX is currently developing a very simple non-linear video editing program, similar to imovie. Why, you ask, when imovie comes free with every mac? Imovie is great for the entry level video editor, but you have to jump to a much more complicated program (like Final Cut) if you want to do anything with multiple layers of video (like blue/green screens). I just downloaded the in-development trial version of Norkross Movie Maker, and so far it looks pretty promising - like Imovie with multiple layers. Just what I've always wanted!


This could be the perfect video editor for elementary classrooms who want to take video a step past where Imovie can take you, but aren't quite ready for the Final Cut.

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Looks like it might provide a good introduction into morph art - any idea if there is a similar program for PC?
    dsgran said...
    That's a good question, anonymous. I did a quick surf around and don't see any *free* equivilents, although I have seen versions you can download or purchase at the store. I'll keep my eyes open.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "Morph Art", although it sounds like something that my tech-savy video students would dig.

Post a Comment