2.01.2008

TGIF! CNY Roundup!

Happy Friday all! I'll be taking a short break from the Revolution for Chinese New Year - but before I go, I'll leave you with a week's worth mixed bag of Art-Ed related goodness for while I'm gone.

Love for Leopards:

When my mac crashed this week, I was up to 3 in the morning backing up files, and decided it was about time that I installed Leopard. Folks, if you've got a Mac and you're still running Tiger, its time to make the move. The improvement to Photo Booth alone is worth the price. First of all, the new Amusement Park style of photos in photo booth is hours of useless fun.



But what really turns Photo Booth from a cute image capture program into a powerful tool is the new Chroma Key function, which allows you to record live video and switch the backgrounds- instantly, and without a chroma color background. It even works with ichat.

Another great feature? Time machine. Now I won't have to be up until 3 AM backing up files ever again. Wish I'd installed this on Monday.

...and in political news..

If you didn't notice the button in the sidebar, I'm a Obama supporter, and it's not just because he's got the best logo. No, really he does- scroll down and take a look at it. Its an "O", and its also a rising sun. Simple, meaningful, inspirational. Love it! Now, Shepard Fairey (of OBEY GIANT fame) has created a limited run print edition of this equally amazing Obama poster:


Put your checkbooks away, its already sold out. However, all proceeds went to support the candidate. I love the poster, and love when art is used to make a difference.

...and speaking of great images...

In my quest to get reacquainted with photography as best I can in the next few months, I just discovered photographerJennifer Zwick. I particularly like this photograph, called The Explorers:



...and in other news...

If you're looking for some good classroom guidance, check out Sister Corita's excellent Art Classroom rules:


Found at High Low, you can read the text here. My favorite is rule 6: "Nothing is a mistake. There is no win and no fail. There is only make." It reminds me of Yoda. "Do. Or do not. There is no try." He was very wise for a muppet.

...and finally...

Artist Yeon Doo Jung creates fantastic photographs based on children's drawings. These beautiful images really capture the energy and lightness of children's art. Check out the website to see the photographs side by side with the drawings that inspired them.



That's it for me! We're out of here next week. Xin Nian Kuai Le!

5 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    While having taught art for more years that I want to admit, there are perhaps a dozen books on my shelf that I continue to refer to (and refer my students to). Corita Kent's "Learning By Heart" is one of them.
    dsgran said...
    Thanks for the tip, Craig, that will be a book I pick up on my next stop home!
    Unknown said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Jazel said...
    OBEY, Shepard Fairey is one amazing fellow.
    David said...
    dsgran,
    The image The Explorers instantly evokes for me Keith Donohue's novel, The Stolen Child- the children, the books, the wilderness, the hidden place beneath the floor. Excellent piece. Thank you for sharing it.

Post a Comment