3.06.2008

Artists or Terrorists?

Hello parents. 

I'd like to talk to you today about the warning signs regarding some dangerous activity that your kids may already be involved in: art making.

Here are some warning signs courtesy of the Santa Anna Police Department Website.

  • Your child frequently has paint or marker residue on their fingertips.
  • Your child has or carries a black artist notebook that contains tagging or drawings. These books are called “bibles” or “piece books.”
Well, that describes most of the students that I've had.  If you take a look at the language on their website, its actually pretty amusing the way that their argument, which is built against 'tagging' is later simply generalized to include all graffiti. The reason they do this is somewhat obvious- its hard to (forgive the pun) paint graffiti with the same brush you would tag with.  
 
I'll tell you what though, if you're child is revealed as a criminally inclined tagger, it could be worse.   They could be photographer terrorists.

I'd just like to close with my favorite little nugget of wisdom from the Santa Ana website:
"Tagging is not an art form or about expressing oneself."
Thanks sir, but I don't need art lessons from the police department.  You work on crimes, we'll work on personal expression. Viva La Revolución.

5 Comments:

  1. Jul said...
    Too funny!
    DCVII said...
    Haha, that is pretty absurd. Describes me pretty well in high school.
    Chris said...
    so funny, yet so true
    Anonymous said...
    Wow! I'm forty years old and that describes me pretty well too. I second your closing thoughts. The fear mongering in the name of "preventing terrorism" is getting really old in my book.
    Anonymous said...
    I wish I could find this funny, but I would fit this description as well. Lucky for me my parents knew I just loved art and didn't suspect me for any wrongdoings, but now that I'm all grown up (sorta) I'm a photographer who looks ... kind of odd.

    Should I be worried? Perhaps the next t-shirt I make for myself should say "Artist, not Terrorist" or something similar.

Post a Comment