Posted by dsgran
November School Arts article on GIF animation, I absolutely love these 'split depth' '3D' gifs. The white bars seem to play with your perception of space and end up with a much more satisfying 3D experience than the wigglegrams. There doesn't seem to be too many examples of these yet, but Reddit user L77 has listed this quick tutorial on a page dedicated to making these. You'll have to find a short clip of a film to start with.
- Open it in Photoshop, find the animation toolbar (Window - Animation)
- Click on first frame in animation window and find the active layer in layers toolbar
- Make a new, empty layer above active layer, draw the white lines in it.
- Copy the white lines layers above each frame (this could be a lot)
- With eraser tool remove white lines from parts where [front of image] overlaps them.
- Make sure that the right white lines layer is activated for each frame (the eye icon next to layer)