4.09.2007

The Portrait Party

Here is a website that I can get behind because (a) I like collaborative projects, (b) I like drawing portraits, and (c) I like parties.

The Portrait Party is a collaborative project disguised as a blog, and has a really simple idea. Find a partner, create portraits of each other, submit it online. The great thing about this project is that communication between partners can be online or via this antiquated concept known as "real life" (some of my older readers might remember what that is).

These two portraits were from different exchanges- I included them together here because I like them, and well, because I can.

The portrait party is thrown by art teacher / illustrator Rama Hughes. Be sure to check out his website - as you click through his fantastic illustrations- you can read his comments about life informing art, and art informing life. The kind of things you hope to come out of discussions in your art classes.

Anyway, you can crash his online party (I think he would welcome it), or you can throw one of your own in your classroom.

I'll bring the soda pop.

4 Comments:

  1. rama hughes said...
    hey david, thanks for the email and the links! we DO have a lot in common. weird. cool! i'm bookmarking your site too. i've been amassing a GIGANTIC curriculum over the years. so, i'll probably crib off your collection now and then.
    Sarah said...
    As usual you have come up with another fantastic resource. I wonder if he would mind an entire class, 32 to be exact of students crashing the site. It would be great to get some of my students involved in such an interesting project?
    dsgran said...
    Thanks for the comments!

    Hey Rama- i'm glad you came by, feel free to crib away, that's what we're here for!

    Hi again Sarah- Send him an email! I think it would be a great idea, and I'd love to see the results. I'd like to do the same when I've got students working with non-digital media again.
    rama hughes said...
    a class really did crash the site! well, they had a portrait party and sent me two samples anyway. i would love to post a whole class's portraits though. that would be great!

Post a Comment