10.14.2009

Look Familiar?





I haven't really had a chance to sit down and write about my art-overload this summer, and every time I try, I just become overwhelmed. So, I'm breaking it down into smaller scattered posts. In July I attended the IB Art workshop in Berlin, and used that as a jumping off point to see a little bit of southern France and then head over to the Venice Biennial. I'm putting a little video together of my favorite Biennial exhibits, but in the meantime, this was one of my favorite things to see this summer:

Look familiar?

There was something truly amazing in walking across the square and seeing a building that you know so well for the first time- and when its as colorful and vibrant as you'd imagined, its all the more magical. Look at that sky! How is the sky that blue in Arles?


This is one of the stops on the Van Gogh walking tour of Arles. Simply follow in the steps of Vincent to see the locations that he painted. We didn't get to all of the spots. Sadly; there is really just too much to see in south France.


Perhaps they need to spread some of their scenery and history to other parts of the world, I mean, in all fairness....

However, when you reach a point where he placed his canvas, there is a reproduction of the work he created there and a short description. Interestingly, in some places its obvious, in other places, its not obvious, or only partially so.
Although it would be an unlikely possibility, it seems to me a good idea to have a zoning law preventing gas stations from opening up anywhere in the line of site from which Van Gogh worked.

I won't hold my breath on that.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment